Tiffany J Chen
Share a Secret Message with Invisible Ink!
Updated: Aug 7, 2019
Have a secret message to share or a surprise to reveal? Here's a fun science activity that can show you how it's done!
How to make the Invisible Ink?
First, add approximately 60ml of water and some baking soda into a bowl
Next, mix everything together
Then, dab the cotton swabs into the water and write your message! How to reveal the secret message?
First, pour out some grape juice
Next, dab a brush or a wet tissue and gently apply the grape juice all over the paper.
Isn't it cool how baking soda and acid can react and change color? I think so too and I have no doubts it will amaze your child! What can we teach in the experiment:
1. Sequencing: practice telling your friends how to make invisible ink so they can write each other messages
2. Following multi-step directions: Although simple, you have to use the right types of liquid to get the best results! Remind your child to keep their listening ears on!
1. Recognizing letters: What letters are written on the paper?
2. Putting sounds together: Reveal one letter at a time and ask your child to try and combine the sounds together
3. Building sight words: Ask your child to write out a word when you dictate it to them, or recognize common words in the message
1. Making prediction: Why does the paper change color when you put on the grape juice?
2. Compare and contrast: What would happen if you used orange juice instead of grape juice?
Sometimes the simplest ingredients can make such fun activities!! If you try this out at home, don't forget to share your thoughts with me! #invisibleink #science #kids #language #speechwithinreachslp #literacy #preliteracy